Exterior or interior mounting

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
redapse
Has thanked: 0

Exterior or interior mounting

Post by redapse »

I'm going to be running a WG1608 router and a Quectel RM500Q-GL on TMobile (probably band 66) and I have the 4x4 MIMO 700-2700MHz antenna. It's going on top of a 20ft telescopic mast, on top of a 20ft house. I'm using LMR600 coax (4x), do you guys think it's worth installing the equipment in a weatherproof box at the top (saving cable costs and signal loss) or within my attic?

My thoughts are the equipment would be better protected inside, and would keep the mast as light as possible, but the 30ft length of LMR600 coax concerns me.

Is 30ft going to affect my speeds significantly, or no? Thank you
BillA

Re: Exterior or interior mounting

Post by BillA »

There are a couple of ways to do it, either way is fine, it's a matter of personal preference.

1. You could mount both the router and modem in the antenna's housing, and run an ethernet cable with POE for power.

2. You could mount the modem only in the in antenna's housing, and leave the router in your room connecting it to the modem via a long USB3 (can carry more power and it's faster than USB2) extension cable which can also supply power to the modem. The advantage of this setup is that you can see the satus lights, and tinker with your router more freely being in your home, and possibly protect it more from the elements/heat&cold. You can read more about it here:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6607#p6607
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6586#p6586
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The space in the 4x4 antenna is way tight, and the antenna connectors are already drilled through and mounted into the housing. Its not really for building internally. Not this version atleast.
redapse
Has thanked: 0

Post by redapse »

Good information. Yes the 4x4 mimo doesn't allow for anything else in there.

I think due to having 6months of the year where we can't climb on top of the roof, it's going to make sense to keep the router and modem in my attic. I also get concerned about the -60F windchills we get regularly in Feb and Jan. Although the equipment would probably keep itself within operating temperature, if it did ever go out mounted on the mast, I'd be without LTE for months.

Thanks for the input/thoughts guys.

Return to “General and Unclassified”